8.21.2008

Left Over Glass, Entry 7

Canon EOS1D Mark III, 500mm f/4
ASA: 1250, Aperture: f/4 Shutter 1/640

I talked to my Dad today, to tell him I probably wouldn't have time to meet up (he is also in Beijing, but we've only seen each other twice in the three weeks we've been here), and before I could barely get the words out of my mouth, he exclaims, "Here! I have someone for you to talk to!"

Hmm. Ok. I figure it has to be an old business friend of his who I won't remember. Yet the voice of a young hipster girl comes on the phone. Well this is unexpected. we better get to the bottom of this telecommunications quagmire.
"Hello, whose this?" I ask.
"This is Shawn Johnson!' I hear in a pippy response.

Ah. I see. It becomes clear that my father has taken it upon himself to be in the company of the 16-year-old, multi-olympic-medal gymnast, and also to make sure that she talks to me, and I her. For what reason? The answer to that question is beyond man's grasp.

Well, to make a long story short, I really have nothing to say to her (God forbid I think about congratulating her on her medal tally). I decide to cut to maybe the one thing we have in common - I tell her I work as a photographer and shot a nice frame of her on the balance beam. She seems mildly interested - about the same interest you have when you hear your grandpa got a hair cut.

Needless to say, we kept it short, but I thought it made for an amusing story. The photo is above.

2 comments:

Le Pew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

WOW, this is the best i have seen yet. The placement in the frame and the movement away from the vertical displays a curtain strength proper to the subject... and great story you maniac